2008-11-15

I love farmer's market


I love farmer’s market. My first visit to the local market was last week. As soon as I explored the whole market, I know I love it. There are fresh produces and crafts. I love the idea of consuming locally. Nowadays the whole world emphasizes how we can do to reduce the carbon emission. That’s why farmer’s market has gained its importance. The hospitality is the most attractive part of the whole market. Vendors in the farmer’s market are very friendly. They are willing to answer you questions or just exchange some wonderful talks. That spices up the charms to the local market.

In the farmer’s market of Bellingham, I like several stalls. There is a bakery selling German bread. The baker is from Bavaria, Germany. He bakes pretzels, cheese sticks and other bread. The texture of the bread is softer. If you want a cup of coffee, their elementary school boy will brew a cup for you. The wife always wears smile. The mother is amiable too. I love to sit at the corner bathing in the late fall sunshine and watch this family work together. I bet there is strong love among them.

I love vegetables. In my last visit, I found a vegetable vendor selling Daikon, the Asian radish. I can’t believe my eyes. The daikon is juicy, crispy and tender. Even though I was not a big fan of daikon, I can’t resist the temptation to get a few. The vendor is nice too. I thought his family was from Russian. He told me his family is from British and Scandinavia. It was fun for me to talk to people.

I also talked to a guy who sells smoke salmon. My interests to the northwest Indian cultures grow after I attended a lecture last month. The package has a design with Northwest Indian pattern that attracts my attention. The vendor told me a little bit about the conventional way to smoke salmon. He was nice to let me take a picture too.

When the sun showers the whole city, the farmer’s market is lively. There were several street artists playing music or tricks on the square. Laughter brought the warmth to the chilly day.

Illustration: Joel, the vendor of smoke salmon in Bellingham

No comments: